Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Phases

If I had a dollar for every time I’ve heard a parent say “he/she’s just going through a phase” I’d be a rich woman. Children are always changing, growing and developing. Many parents seem to look at every stage as a phase that the child is going through. They are constantly waiting for the child to come out of that phase and become a wonderful person. I find that kind of sad, it seems like they are never quite satisfied with the child they have today, and are always waiting for the mythical improvement that is just around the corner.

I look at my kids and see them, just as they are, the way they are today is the child I love right now. Of course I know they will grow up and I often wonder what they will be like in 5 or 10 years, but I’m not desperately waiting for them to grow out of whatever phase they are in right now. I’m enjoying them where they are at, just the way they are right now.

I’m not sure where this going through a phase idea comes from, but I wonder how helpful it really is. I don’t think parents find it very relaxing waiting for their kids to get through this phase, then the next. I must say I find it enjoyable just watching my kids and enjoying them where they are today. Maybe as parents we need to stop looking forward for a moment, and enjoy the now, just like our little ones do. There is so much pleasure in being in the moment, and I think it might be helpful as parents to be in the moment with our kids, and enjoy them right now in this moment, at this stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment