Saturday, June 5, 2010

Knitting with circular needles

I love knitting, it is very relaxing. Recently I discovered the delight of knitting on circular needles. I used to knit beanies flat and seam them at the back, because I could not master double pointed needles, I suspect it is something you have to see in action to comprehend, and I’ve never had that opportunity. So I’ll stick with my circular needles. But then I discovered that circs can be used for more than just circular knitting, they are a lifesaver with flat knitting too. You can’t lose the other needle, its attached to the end of the cable. The other bonus is that your knitting won’t fall off the end of your needle while in your bag, as you simply pull the needle out and the knitting hangs on the cable. Life saving when working on an adult jumper, which just squeezes onto a regular needle, and often used to try jumping off. So yes I love my circs, have you guessed?


So recently I tried a new innovation, the seamless garment. The picture is of a seamless cardi I’m making for Possum. You start at the top and work down. When you get to the underarms, the sleeve parts are put onto holders (or in my case, spare cables) and you just keep on working down. When I finish the back and fronts, I’ll go back and do the sleeves then I’ll pick up stiches and knit the front panel and collar on. So when I cast off for the last time, it will be ready to wear, no sewing involved. Yes, I know it just looks strange, but I’ll update on it when finished.



My other new adventure in knitting is two at a time socks. Yes the circular needles are great here too; I knit my socks from the toe up, so here you see two toes, hanging on the cables. The beauty here is that I don’t have to count rows I just knit until it is big enough, then do the heal then do the rest until I run out of yarn. Again, I’ll update on these socks when I’ve finished them.

No comments:

Post a Comment