Thursday, January 13, 2011

Queensland Flood

My heart goes out to all the victims of the Queensland floods. All those who are homeless, those who are flooded in, those who are flooded out. My heart also goes out to those affected by floods in NSW, Vic and Tas, what a terribly wet summer. My heart especially goes out to those with small children, trying to explain what is happening to them, why they can't go home, why they can't go to visit friends, why they can't do so many things. Even worse, how to feed them, why is there none of their favourite food, why can't we go shopping. And then for those of small babies, how to feed them, yes many mums breastfeed and that is such a relief because they know that no matter where they are, no matter what happens, they have food for the baby or even the toddler. No matter what happens, Mum's milk is there for bub. However, for those who are formula feeding, there are a range of problems, firstly is there enough formula available, and then they need water to mix it with, water to clean all the equipment, and they need power to heat the water. I really feel for these mums, I spent two years in a similar situation, when Possum was a baby he could not breastfeed, with my first three kids I never had to worry about this, they could feed anywhere, and I always knew I had milk for them, with Possum it was different. I expressed for him, and I spent the whole two years worries that I would run out of power, and not be able to express, or the milk in the freezer would thaw or I wouldn't be able to wash my bottles. It is so much harder when you can't breastfeed. Again all my thoughts go out to the Mums and bubs of Queensland, I hope someone is making sure you all have enough milk.

On the topic of Queensland floods, I know everyone wants to help out. If you want to help out, please listen to the requests from the Queenslanders. They have asked that we send them money not things, if you want to help, here is the link to the Government appeal, please send money this way, rather than goods other ways: http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/donate.html

No comments:

Post a Comment