Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Holiday Swimming Lessons

I really enjoy the summer swimming lessons. It is a great break in the holidays, some time with scheduled activities. But the real thing I love is that it makes me get the kids out of the house in the morning, and we have fun together at the pool. The other thing I love is the fact that I get a chance to sit with other mums and talk. We chat about anything and everything, it is so relaxing to just natter. No specific topics required, just anything that comes to mind. It is a great chance to get to know other mums and to meet their kids. I love the fact that kids from all the schools in town get mixed up together for swimming lessons, so when they hit High School they know someone other than just those from their primary school. I love the inclusiveness of it all, everyone in together.

I also enjoy the opportunity to see my kids learning new skills and working so hard to swim better. The other advantage is if I can see them having problems I can work with them between lessons, or I can ask for extra coaching for them. Techno boy has trouble swimming, he isn’t kicking properly, so I asked for extra coaching and he has improved out of sight in the last few days. I just love watching Lily learn to breath while doing freestyle, she has gone from trying to breath under each arm, to successfully breathing under one. I am also enjoying watching Amber learn to rescue people and do first aid. But most fun of all is taking Possum into the water with the other three kids and just having fun. Holiday swimming lessons bring so many wonderful memories for all of us.

Of course the best thing about it is that they are all learning to swim, so hopefully in our swimming obsessed country they will be safe in so many situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment