Friday, November 6, 2009

Today is Dad's Birthday


Today is Dad’s birthday, today he would have turned 76. I love my Dad, he was a wonderful man, so strong and capable. He loved all of his kids, and we all loved him. About 11 years ago, he was diagnosed with cancer, he was basically told it was a death sentence; chances are he would be dead within 5 years of diagnosis, only 5% survival rate. So being Dad he decided he would fight and beat the odds. He had surgery, which removed most of the cancer, he did chemo and radiotherapy, which made him really sick, but he did seem to recover. He actually managed to get 5 years more. He died in January 6 years ago. I still think about him often, and so often wish I could ask him what he would do, especially with house repairs and on the farm. Sadly I can’t, but I do ask myself, what would he do, and so often that brings me an answer that works. Every year in November, and January I think about my Dad and miss him so much. I am also very sad that he missed seeing Possum, at least he got to meet the other three. Dad didn’t really relate to babies, so I was looking forward to the kids getting older and getting to know their Granddad really well. Sadly that is never going to happen, as they were under six when he died. I’m sure he would be so impressed and proud of Amber and Techno Boy, and I’m sure he would have enjoyed spending time with them. Sadly they will never know what a wonderful man their Grandfather was.

I miss my Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment